Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rest

I have just started back running and it is kicking my butt. I know that I need to do it but each day is a struggle. I love it when I am done and feel much better but the process is lots of work. I know why running gets results - it is painful and takes much discipline, just like our walks with the Lord.
Most of you know that I have been reading one chapter a day through various books of the bible following Professor Horners's Bible Reading Plan. I would like to tell you that everyday I look forward to my readings but some days I just don't. Some days I have to make myself read but I can tell you that everytime I am done, like running, I feel better. God has spoken to me every time I do. I am learning that so much of our life is a discipline that we have to make ourselves do things that we just don't want to do.
Another very important lesson I learned while running, you have to rest. I am very much a jump in with both feet kind of girl. If I am going to do something, I am going to do it well. I felt like I should just run everyday and not take a break and it would get easier. However, the opposite happened, it got harder. My legs felt like I couldn't even pick them up. I finally decided that I needed a "day of rest" (sound familiar) and the day after my rest I felt so much better and actually enjoyed part of the run.
I have a feeling that God has much more to teach me while running my neighborhood. The discipline of running is teaching me much in my relationship with the Lord.

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Love it Kasey! A great lesson that we all need for sure! And good for you for the physical running!

RosieLayne said...

This is exactly what I needed this morning. Since the birth of my second child seven months ago, I've been so consumed with the girls that I have sorely neglected my walk. I awoke this morning feeling so thirsty, craving the Lord...

Followers