Friday, January 16, 2009

The Narrow Way

I was driving home tonight and my windshield was dirty so I sprayed it with the window cleaner so I could see. However, I didn't take into account that it was so cold outside that it was going to freeze immediately and make it impossible to see. I know, not one of my smarter moves! I was driving and really couldn't see. I know that I should have pulled over and waited for the defrost to clear the window but I was thinking about how hard it is to drive when you can't see and how I panicked briefly because I couldn't see. I could see a bit, the yellow lines showing me how to stay in the lines.
I am pretty sure that this was a perfect picture of the Christian life. I am not by any means suggesting it is a good way to drive, but it is the way to live. Christ tells not to walk by sight but by faith. Honestly, I would rather walk by sight. I like to know where I am going, why I am going there, and what I will do while I am there. Not being able to see what is ahead of me is not fun but it is what God calls us to do.
He asks us to walk by faith. Too often it means walking blindly through life along the road He has chosen for us - not stupid but blind. I think about how while driving home, I could see this one spot of the yellow line and if I just followed that line, I was going to be driving in the right "lane."
Matthew 7:13-14 says to "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." God has given us the "narrow" lane to follow and it is often difficult to follow because it is hard to see sometimes. But God has promised us that it is the way that leads to life and not destruction. I have walked too wide a path - the one that seems good and fun and it does lead to destruction. Anything against God ways will lead to destruction. The "narrow" lane is just that - narrow. It is difficult to walk and only by faith and His spirit can we do it. Wiersbe says that "the two ways refer to two types of life-style: the easy, comfortable, popular life, or the difficult way of self-denial. These ways are entered by two gates: a narrow gate of surrender or a broad gate of self-sufficiency. True righteousness leads to self-denial." True righteousness comes when we "deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed to hear today. Self-denial and surrender.

Followers