Sunday, March 22, 2009

Curb Appeal

UPDATE: These verses were in my Bible Reading this morning and I thought they fit perfect for what I was talking about yesterday. Matthew 23: 25-26 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean."

We have our house on the market and once someone looks at the house, they give their feedback to us. We got this yesterday, "Did not like the outside, no curb appeal. Loved the inside! Great floor plan and excellent decorating. May want to see it again this weekend."

Ok, so, what do you do with that? How do you create curb appeal? After a few searches on HGTV and quick e-mail to my Mom and sisters, I got a plan--Walmart clearance. I found some cafe chairs and a small table for the porch, some cheap flowers (it is possible we will still have a freeze and some snow here in CO), and some finials' that I spray painted black. Under a $100 and we have some curb appeal. I still need a few evergreens but Walmart didn't have any. Next weekend!

I have been going through Beth Moore's study of Esther and she is discussing how hard it is to be a woman these days. I have really been thinking about how we get the same message I got about my house. Not enough - we can have a great floorplan (shape), great decorating (clothes and make-up), someone can love us from the inside (our hearts) and still feel like we are lacking in something! No curb appeal maybe? Or maybe our decorating isn't so hot? Or worst, our hearts are a mess?

What is that you are struggling with? I feel like I get one area under control and then I am lacking in another. I am doing great with my quiet time each morning and reading my Bible plan. Then my exercise falls by the wayside or my house is a disaster. How do we do it all? The whole package!

We can't. The best thing we will ever learn is that we can't do everything well to the glory of God. Sometimes, we can only do a few things well. Sometimes, it is just one thing. We try to do too much and end up doing many things poorly.

What do we do then? We focus on our heart. We focus on the inside - let God change our hearts and our curb appeal will enhance, that I guarantee. Show me a woman who is in love with the Lord and finds her security in Him and Him alone and I will show you some curb appeal.

Ezekiel 16:14 "Then your fame went forth among the nations on account of your beauty, for it was perfect because of My splendor which I bestowed on you." declares the Lord.
Kasey Ewing

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks friend. I needed this today - have been sick in bed all weekend and now feeling guilty that I didn't get a single thing done even though I know it's really ok. It's indeed tough being a woman. ;)
Love you tons.

Anonymous said...

Funny I was thinking about something similar to this just a few minutes ago. I heard a song on the radio that said "This is your life, are you who you want to be?" and as if someone was sitting in the car with me I felt the need to answer out loud "No, I am not who I want to be". Love you and can't wait to see you!
Courtney

Lelia Chealey said...

Excellent post. Loved how you used the curb appeal analogy.

Followers