Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Privilege of Pain

I have always thought that I would title a book I would write one day, "The Privilege of Pain." As Brad and I were praying for the Chapman family last night, he said something that stood out to me, "I can't wait to hear the songs that come from this!" Steven is an incredible song writer before grief and heartache struck his family and, having experienced this intense grief, we know that God changes you completely for the good if you let Him. There is a depth and intimacy that words can't describe, at least mine can't. Brad is much better at this. His songs give words to the grief, as I know that one day Steven Curtis' will too.

With pain, comes responsibility and privilege. God, as He did with Job, trusts us to walk through the pain and heartache this life allows with Him carrying us through it. His Mighty Name is at stake as we endure our tragedy. When tragedy hits, it begins to show us if we really believe what we say we do. As Beth Moore says, "Our theology meets our reality." How awesome it is when it does. The greatest blessing or privilege that I got to experience when our Jake died, was KNOWING beyond a shadow of a doubt that what God says in His word is Truth. He will comfort you, He will walk you through the valley of the shadow of death. He is my Rock and Hiding place, and He can bring a peace that passes all understanding. There is so much more that I KNOW personally about Him that I just don't think I would have known before. I must tell you that one of the most freeing places in all the world to be is to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He can be trusted with our lives and our future, to know and believe (really believe) Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know that plans I have for you says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for a hope and a future." I can rest in that promise and you can too!

God can take our sorrow and grief and use it for His glory. It is one of the things He is so amazing at -- redeeming us to be a testimony for His name's sake. It is a privilege that He, the Most High God, can use us to further His Kingdom.

No comments:

Followers