Sunday, July 13, 2008

On The Road Again!

I am almost home. I am at the Holiday Inn in Hays, Kansas and thankfully, they have free wireless internet. The hotel is great because it has a pool with a slide. The kids are able to burn off all the excess energy they have from being in the car all day. We just ordered pizza and now I am hoping to get some sleep so I can safely drive the rest of the way home tomorrow. I am very proud of myself today. I actually stopped and stayed at a hotel. I have a tendency to not stop and it can be dangerous to my family and my relationship with my parents :). They are not fond of my habit of driving 12 or more hours in one day. So, I did the mature thing and spent the $75 to stay at the Holiday Inn. I am so glad I did. The free toothbrush was incentive enough. I love hotels that will give you a toothbrush if you forget yours or in my case, can't find it the car that is packed FULL! I am tired of hotels that charge you to stay there and then they charge you for everything else you need. Thank you Holiday Inn.

I have driven through seven states on this trip and flown to Mexico. Three of the states I have driven through the whole state, including Texas. I am quite the traveler at this point. I am tired of my car. I am carrying Flexall in my purse to help with the kinks in my neck. I am realizing that I have some personal limits that I didn't used to have. My knees begin to ache, my neck is so tight it gives me headaches, and gallons of coffee can't keep me up for hours - it just makes me sick to my stomach. I am not the girl I used to be. I used to think that that harder and longer I went the better. Now, I am learning to slow down and enjoy. Two flat tires has a way of doing that to you!

I am excited to get home but not ready to start life again. I dread the busyness and clutter that life brings. I love the days spent at the lake where we just hang out with the family on the deck. School starting is looming over my head. I have a boy going into middle school and that makes me very sick to my stomach - no coffee needed. I want to find that balance of doing what God has called me to do without getting involved in too much. I am praying that I careful consider what I say yes too. I am asking God that, like my decision to pull off the road and stop at the hotel to rest and renew for the day tomorrow. I will do the same when I get home. To consider and weigh the consequences of every yes. I want our family life to be pleasing to the Lord from the way we spend our time to the way we spend our money. I long to please Him in every respect. I am so glad He is showing me that resting in Him is so good and the more I do isn't always better. The activity we do for Him is often the thing that hinders from spending time with Him.

2 comments:

Breanne said...

Glad yall stopped!! Sounds like a fun hotel. We miss yall!! You will do great when you get home!

Lisa Laree said...

After our summer travel (in-laws 60th anniversary and accompanying festivities) I'm back home and wondering the same things...how do I go back to the routine without going back to the routine? It's so true that the activity we do in His name keeps us from just enjoying Him...thanks for the thoughts!

Followers