Tuesday, February 5, 2008

When It Rains, It Pours (hail, that is)


My mom just sent me this picture of the front of their house. The thought just entered my mind of the saying, "when it rains, it pours." Isn't that so true. Right now as I sit in Colorado Springs in the snow and cold, my husband is in Peru on a mission trip. My oldest sister, in Dallas, is due with her fourth baby at any moment. My little sister, in Killen, is having some medical problems and we are heartbroken for her. To top that off, my dad, is having surgery on Friday. Helpless, that is what I feel. What we all feel, we all want to be there for each other but no one can leave where they are to help the other.
I am here in Colorado and there is nothing I can do! Well, that isn't exactly true. But sometimes it feels like nothing. BUT I know that here, in cold Colorado, I can do the most important thing that one can do for another. Pray, Pray, Pray.
How come the most important thing we can do for someone feels like it isn't much? I think because Satan knows the power of prayer and would rather keep us busy doing other things than the one thing needed. Reminds me of Mary and Martha. What did Jesus say to her? "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things (Amen, sister), but only ONE THING IS NEEDED. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Now, I know I am stretching the context here and Jesus is referring to time spent with Him. But isn't that what prayer is? Time spent with Him. Laying my worries, cares, and concerns for my family at His feet. He can take so much better care of them than I can!
While I'm at it, I might just pray for a couple of plane tickets and maybe some chocolate covered strawberries because us "Lowery's" feel like an Edible Arrangements can just do a heart good!

No comments:

Followers