Saturday, March 22, 2008

Swept Away

Brad and I are off to a funeral this morning. It is the nephew of a good friend. He was 22 months old. Very close to the age Jake was when he died. The memories are flooding back. Almost too much to bear. However, it is such a faith builder to look back and see how far we have come since that dreadful day. How much our families have healed, how God has used our testimony in so many ways. How we have learned how alive and present God is in our lives. How to walk through the valley of the shadow of death and have a peace that passes all understanding. 
My heart breaks for the family who just lost their son. What grief and heartache they have ahead of them. Yet, there is a part of me that misses that heartbreaking grief. Funny, I know but God's grace on us each moment was so REAL. It was alive. It had to be - we couldn't move without it. We couldn't get out of bed, we didn't want to live - yet, we did and God came through victorious in our lives. It was a special time, a time we relied on Him so heavily, the intimacy there. Not that I would ever wish to walk through that again but it is so comforting to know that He walked us through it. There is a certain level of faith that we have that we never could have without our loss. To know without a doubt that we can withstand our worst fears through Him is without a doubt a awesome blessing. No matter what we face in this life, He is there and He knows and will comfort us. 
I told y'all that my plane home from Dallas was cancelled due to weather. Dallas had major rain and many parts of it were flooded. As my sister and I were driving along to the lake we kept looking at all the water and  how quickly it had flooded. My sister kept saying how powerful water is. It has the power to fill an ocean or a backyard. It has the power to sweep away cars - sweep away a life. 
I think I understand now why Jesus told the woman at the well that if she knew who He was, she would ask for living water. He told her that everyone who drinks of well water will thirst again but those who drink of the water that He gives shall never thirst again, the water He brings will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life. (John 4) What Jesus offers her and us is a powerful solution to all life deals us. 
Water in scripture stands for life giving. Jesus was offering her a new way to live. He offers it to us too. When life seems to be sweeping us away, He knows how to make our feet stand. He continually renews us. He brings us into contact with Living Water. 
Tomorrow we celebrate Easter, the ultimate resurrection. He is the Resurrection and the Life. Today, as I look at the snow falling all around us (only in Colorado does is snow on Easer) I stand amazed at The Living Water. He has brought us through all the things that threatened to sweep us away. Now, I am swept away by His powerful love and grace.

No comments:

Followers