Friday, April 25, 2008

Blessings Equal Favor?

I have been rolling this question around in my head for months. I have often heard people say, "We have been praying about something and then God answered with _______." You fill in the blank. For example, as a stay at home mom, let's just pretend that I was praying about going to work and a job opportunity just opened up. Does that mean that that is God's answer? Well, yes or no. It could be either. But it is not an automatic yes. First, God never contradicts His Word. So, if my taking that job contradicts something else He says. It would be a no. Or, what if that is a temptation for me to forsake other responsibilities for a pay check. I am not saying that it would be, just giving some examples. 

I think so many times we are so quick to see a opportunity and jump on it as God's will for us because it seems "good" or "profitable." We think any good thing is from God. Yes, All good things come from above, but what is your definition of good? Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the GOOD of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose." The greek word for good here means "good, in respect to operation or influence on others i.e. useful, beneficial, profitable" In my greek dictionary, good specifically refers to good in the realm of abstract things. It is the same word used in Galatians 6:10 "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do GOOD to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." And in Philemon 1:6 "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every GOOD thing we have in Christ."
We must change our definition of good to match God's definition. His good is to be more like Him, to posses what He posses, to think the way He thinks. We must be careful that we don't make decisions based on our definition of good but His. 

It is hard to make those decisions when others are prospering making the wrong ones. It feels unjust sometimes, it is ok to say it. Read Psalm 73 about the same struggle. We must remembers that ours is often a delayed gratification. One day, those who prosper now will perish and He will destroy the unfaithful. But as Psalm 73: 28 says, "But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." 

I leave you with this scripture, Matthew 7:13-14 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." 

No comments:

Followers