Saturday, April 19, 2008

Darn If You Do, Darn If You Don't

Brad and I unsuspectingly picked out "The Kite Runner" to watch last night. I heard that it is what good and showed what life is like in Afghanistan. I was in no way ready for what I saw. The movie is about the life of two boys and what their life is like living there. I must say, the movie left me in all sorts of emotions: scared, shocked, angered, heartbroken, every emotion that I have, I think I felt it during this movie. Warning, there are scenes you will never forget. I am pretty sure we should not forget. It shows what the Taliban did to their country when they took over. It shows how awful humanity can be without God. It clearly pictures why the Taliban needs to be stopped. In part of the commentary the director talks about how we as outsiders did nothing to help Afghanistan people when they were invaded by the Soviets and how the world watched as the Taliban took over and destroyed their country. I just have to say one thing, "Darn if you do, and darn if you don't!" When we as Americans come in and help, people scream that we are trying to take over the world and to stay out of their business. When no one helps, the world screams that we sat by and watched an injustice happen. How irritating is that! We are needed to stop the hideous crimes that happen in that country and many more due to Taliban rule. There are children who are homeless, raped, and left for dead on a daily basis, I'll tell you what - that is worth fighting for. There was this one scene when they stoned two people for adultery saying that the Bible says to do this. I think I recall Jesus saying, "You who are sinless, throw the first stone." People getting stoned in the name of "god" is worth fighting for. 

Boy, did that movie stir up a hornets nest. We can't just act like this isn't going on because we live her in America and we are tired of the war. This a real and powerful enemy we face. It is time to do something about it and stop fussing over why we are there, when we leave, blah, blah, blah. Remember the line from "A Few Good Men" the soldier says, "we were supposed to fight for those who couldn't fight for themselves." That is what we are to do. 

James 1: 27 says, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after the orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

No comments:

Followers