Monday, April 7, 2008

Weekend Getaway

Brad and the band were up in Vail, Colorado to lead worship for a church there and the wives all decided that we would go up for a night and stay with the guys. Now, I am far from family and getting away one night takes lots of work and coordination. It has hard to get someone to watch your kids for the night. Most of my friends have kids of their own and really don't need my two adding to their family. 
But, I knew it was important to take time away with just us and not the kids so I persevered and decided to pay someone to watch the kids for the night. I have found sometimes it is just easier to pay someone to watch your kids.  You know, no guilt while you are gone if someone else is watching your kids. It is hard for me to ask people to help! 
Anyway, I left for Vail and the baby sitter was going to come to my house and get the kids a little later. Well, have you ever heard the saying, we make plans and God laughs. I think of that saying often because it seems like the harder I plan the more they unravel. 
My babysitter was coming in from out of town and didn't make it around the time she thought and so I was in a mess. I know, my life seems to be one mess after another. 
I got on my phone and made some calls and my second family out here - our neighbors, have a wonderful daughter that my kids love (so do I, even more so now, if possible) and she took the kids for the night. It all worked out and we got our nice night together. 
I wonder why it is so hard for husbands and wives to get away together. Why does something always "come up." I forgot to tell you that that morning I almost didn't go because of weather but it cleared up and I could drive through it. 
So, back to my question? I really honestly feel like Satan has it out for Christian marriages and he is not going to make it easy to celebrate or even enjoy your marriage. He is going to do what he can to interrupt our plans. 
Why do I think this? Because after we got through crises number 1 and had the kids taken care of. We woke up in Vail to snow, I mean lots of snow. Snow that was falling so hard you couldn't see in front of you. We knew that is was supposed to continue snowing and if we didn't get on the road fast, we would get stuck. (Then my kids would really be in a mess!) So, our day that we were going to spend in Vail just hanging out together turned into driving home at 10 miles an hour on snow, ice, and who knows what else. We couldn't see the car in front of us at times, we had hours of white-knuckled driving. Talk about stress. Now, most of you know that Brad and I are not big fans of the snow and neither of us like driving in it. Much less when the car in front of you is sliding around and hits a guard rail. Whew, we know how to take a short vacation together. 
So, to totally prove my point. Satan (and sin, it is not all his fault) is into messing up our lives and he sure doesn't want a Christian marriage to thrive and grow. I mean, God created marriage to be a picture of the church - why in the world would he want that to happen. So, what do we do? WE DON'T LET HIM WIN! 
We decide that we were making some good memories and we laugh about it later and enjoy the fact that we made it safely. It increased our prayer life. Nothing like driving when you can't see the road in front of you to get you praying. 
I told Brad this weather was going to turn me pentecostal. I was raising my hands, but only one at a time because I had one hand on the wheel (Jesus, take the wheel . . . Hee hee, I listened to that song too, I was taking it a bit more literal than intended, I think. )Anyway,  I wanted to be safe, while praying "Oh Loooord, please watch over this car. Oh Looord, protect us. Oh Loord!" I was claiming and yelling all kinds of things, this normally emotionally cool (unless angry) woman is not in habit of doing. I was stepping out in all kinds of stuff. So satan, you can take your ideas of ruining my weekend and stick it! The weekend didn't go as we planned but I know my God is control, even when I can't see five feet in front of me. 
Praise the Lord, I think I need me some praise banners! 
Psalm 124 "I lift my eyes to the hills (snowy mountains) - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot (or car) slip - he who watches over you will not slumber, indeed, he who watches over Israel (Brad and Kasey) will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun (snow) will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both (to Vail and home) now and forevermore."

No comments:

Followers